Tacos Al Pastor
(it's enough for a big party, about 15 people, so if you're not serving a hoard cut this recipe in half at least)
1 c fresh lime juice
1/2 c white vinegar
1/4 c ground ancho chilies
1/4 c chili powder
1 rounded T kosher salt
1 T dried oregano
1 T cumin
2 large chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
1 T adobo sauce
6 pounds pork loin cut into 1/2 inch chops
- Grind all the marinade ingredients together in a food processor.
- Put the meat into 2 ziplock bags and divide the marinade between them. Squeeze the meat and marinade around to coat.
- Let sit in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- Barbecue on your Barrel (or other BBQ, but charcoal will make a difference in the authenticity of the flavor) using direct heat until nicely charred on both sides - about 5 minutes per side.
- Have your friend chop the meat into small, taco-sized pieces.
- Serve with corn tortillas, cilantro pesto, a sprinkle of cojita cheese, and diced white onion that has been mixed with fresh cilantro. Good sides are spanish rice and pinto beans.